Haas Scholars are:
- Academically Talented: value learning both for its own sake and to make a difference in the world
- Community-Oriented: desire to be part of an interdisciplinary academic community by learning from one’s peers
- With initiative and follow-through: ready to take on the challenge of conducting an independent research or creative project that will culminate in a senior/honors thesis
Haas Scholars receive:
- One-on-one mentoring from members of the UC Berkeley faculty
- A required seminar in the Fall (1 unit, P/NP) and a writing workshop in the Spring (1 unit, P/NP), to provide a warm and supportive peer community, and staff and faculty feedback to assist with the research and writing process.
- An opportunity to present the results of your work at a professional academic conference in January
- Assistance with graduate school and fellowship applications, career counseling, and other support to help you realize your individual post-graduation plans
- Membership in an alumni community (438+ strong and growing each year!) that provides ongoing connections and support
- Up to $13,800 in financial support during your fellowship year:
A. Disbursed in the summer:
- $3800-$5000 summer living stipend ($3800 if you will be abroad most of the summer)
- up to $5000 for research expenses
B. Disbursed during the fall and spring:
- $1800/semester academic year living stipend, if your financial aid package has room for it.
C. Disbursed at the end of your year as a Haas Scholar:
- $200 completion stipend
…why not apply and find out what the Haas Scholars Program can do for you?